What Do You Do if You Are Missing a W-2 Form?

by RC on February 20, 2011

Now that the IRS is accepting tax returns from those that itemize and others who were delayed in filing their return, everyone should be able to file there tax returns.

Of course, having all of the necessary documentation to file your taxes is the first step towards filing your tax return. You need to make sure you have your W-2 form or forms (if you have more than one), 1099 forms, and others you will need to prepare your taxes. If you don’t have all of the paperwork necessary it can prevent you from filing, which can be a problem if you are expecting a tax refund and want to get it as quickly as possible.

What if you haven’t received or are missing a W-2 form?

Employers were supposed to mail W-2 forms by January 31st. Unfortunately, they don’t always get them out in a timely fashion, and worse, mistakes happen and you may not get one at all. If you still haven’t received a W-2 from your employer or a past employer, take the following steps recommended by the IRS in order to file your taxes :

1.)  Contact Your Employer or Past Employer
-Contact your employer or past employer to find out if the form was mailed yet. Also, check to make sure they have your correct address. It may have been returned to them if the address they had for you was incorrect.

2.) Contact the IRS – If you do not receive your W-2 by February 14th, contact the IRS for assistance at 1-800-829-1040. When you call, you must provide your personal information (name, address, SS #, etc.) the following information:

• Employer’s name, address, city and state, including zip code and phone number

• Dates of employment

• An estimate of the wages you earned, the federal income tax withheld, and when you worked for that employer during 2010. The estimate should be based on year-to-date information from your final pay stub or leave-and-earnings statement, if possible.

3.) File your return- You still must file your tax return or request an extension to file April 18, 2011, even if you do not receive your Form W-2. If you have not received your Form W-2 by the due date, and have completed steps 1 and 2, you may use Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. Attach Form 4852 to the return, estimating income and withholding taxes as accurately as possible.  There may be a delay in any refund due while the information is verified.

4.) File a Form 1040X On occasion, you may receive your missing W-2 after you filed your return using Form 4852, and the information may be different from what you reported on your return. If this happens, you must amend your return by filing a Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

Similar Posts:


If you have enjoyed this article, please consider subscribing to Think Your Way To Wealth updates using an RSS reader or by email to get all of the latest posts and updates delivered for free!

Leave a Comment

Page 1 of 11

Money Hackers Network Think Your Way to Wealth - Blogged Directory of Finance BlogsBlog Directorypfblogs.org logo Personal  Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog DirectoryA World of Personal Finance Bloggers Join My Community at MyBloglog!