Mark Cuban, Naked Pizza, and Being Passionate and Persistent about Your Dreams

by RC on April 5, 2009

You may or may not know Mark Cuban, the billionaire owner of the Dallas Mavericks, but even if you do, you might not know he has a blog called Blog Maverick. A few of his good articles include How to Get Rich, and a longer post on Success and Motivation, where he talks a bit about his background and how he became rich and successful. Whether you like his style or not, you cannot argue with his success. He is someone who has worked hard to get where he is.

A month or so ago Mark decided to take helping small businesses and entrepreneurs upon himself by allowing his readers to “pitch” him their ideas including details on how much money they would need, when they would turn a profit, etc., with the Mark Cuban Stimulus Plan. He would then provide these people with funding if it met his criteria outlined in his post and he determined it was feasible and would work.

A few weeks later, he provided an update of some of the businesses and ideas he was investigating further and might work out a deal with to provide funding, and the one on the top of the list was called Naked Pizza, and based in New Orleans, where I live.

Basically, Naked Pizza claims to be the world’s healthiest pizza, with multi-grain crust, prebiotics and probiotics, all natural ingredients with fewer calories and more protein than regular pizza-all with a great taste. Sounds like a good idea to me! (Note- I have not tried Naked Pizza yet, but plan to really soon!)

I then ran across a story in the local paper, the Times Picayune, which shed a little more light on Mark Cuban and Naked Pizza’s business venture as well as the two guys who founded Naked Pizza.

I will say this. If Naked Pizza can make it in New Orleans, a city with some of the most delicious (and unfortunately pretty unhealthy) food in the world, they should have no trouble expanding their business enterprise.

What really struck me after reading the above articles, was:

• That these are two people who really believe in what they are doing- they believe they are providing people with a better, healthier alternative to the way pizza is generally made now-they believe what they are offering is better for the health of their customers (Passion)
  • They are willing to work as hard as necessary, and do whatever it takes to succeed (Persistence)

As Mark Cuban said of the Naked Pizza guys : “There is nothing better than entrepreneurs that are willing to bust their ass for a product they believe in, that actually is a great product. That’s who I love to become partners with.”

That just about sums up how to succeed and achieve your dreams, in my opinion.

PT Money April 5, 2009 at 11:48 am

Thanks for the reminder about Cuban’s blog. I don’t read it near enough. Had never seen the get rich article. Pretty cool. Next time I’m down in N.O. or BR we’ll have to try some of that pizza. Go Mavs!

Walter April 5, 2009 at 2:47 pm

I’m a bit puzzled by Mark Cuban. I submitted a business plan, very carefully meeting all of his criteria, and it didn’t show up in the comments. Okay, I figured it must be a technical glitch so I tried again with a different web browser and using a different document host. Again nothing. I can leave comments otherwise on his blog, I tested that with both browsers. Does appear to be accessing my documents on the document server – I only gave the link to him and its gotten 47 hits. So for some reason he has looked at the document, says he wants open source publishing but doesn’t let my business plan go through in comments. Our business is nothing radical, in fact, not too different from Naked Pizza. We produce a health food, pastured pigs, in a sustainable manner. Most odd. I’m not sure what to think. I wish that at the very least he would say why.

RC April 6, 2009 at 8:08 pm

@PT- I forget to read it regularly myself- he does talk about a lot of different topics, but there are definitely some gems in there. You’re not a New Orleans Hornets fan! Say it ain’t so!

Naked Pizza April 8, 2009 at 8:26 am

Thx for the shout out and kind words. Note we are still working on our deal with Mark Cuban – ie. , lawyers – but all looks well. Should be an exciting adventure.

NAKEDpizza

RC April 8, 2009 at 9:59 pm

@Walter- Not sure about that one. I know that Mark Cuban got over 2000 comments, so it may be that he did get to look at it like you suspect, but maybe decided to pass. Good luck in the future.

RC April 9, 2009 at 9:21 pm

@Naked Pizza- Thanks for visiting and the update! Can’t wait to get over and try out your pizza. Good Luck!

Alex N January 16, 2010 at 6:50 am

Funny, was just reading Mark Cuban a minute ago.

Passion and persistence…. pretty much sums it up – if you have these things, the rest will come.

Rob August 1, 2011 at 12:40 pm

We got Naked Pizza here in Dubai. It’s the real deal! Love it… & I’m still skinny ;-)