You may or may not know Mark Cuban, the billionaire owner of the Dallas Mavericks, but even if you do, you might not know he has a blog called Blog Maverick. A few of his good articles include How to Get Rich, and a longer post on Success and Motivation, where he talks a bit about his background and how he became rich and successful. Whether you like his style or not, you cannot argue with his success. He is someone who has worked hard to get where he is.
A month or so ago Mark decided to take helping small businesses and entrepreneurs upon himself by allowing his readers to “pitch” him their ideas including details on how much money they would need, when they would turn a profit, etc., with the Mark Cuban Stimulus Plan. He would then provide these people with funding if it met his criteria outlined in his post and he determined it was feasible and would work.
A few weeks later, he provided an update of some of the businesses and ideas he was investigating further and might work out a deal with to provide funding, and the one on the top of the list was called Naked Pizza, and based in New Orleans, where I live.
Basically, Naked Pizza claims to be the world’s healthiest pizza, with multi-grain crust, prebiotics and probiotics, all natural ingredients with fewer calories and more protein than regular pizza-all with a great taste. Sounds like a good idea to me! (Note- I have not tried Naked Pizza yet, but plan to really soon!)
I then ran across a story in the local paper, the Times Picayune, which shed a little more light on Mark Cuban and Naked Pizza’s business venture as well as the two guys who founded Naked Pizza.
I will say this. If Naked Pizza can make it in New Orleans, a city with some of the most delicious (and unfortunately pretty unhealthy) food in the world, they should have no trouble expanding their business enterprise.
What really struck me after reading the above articles, was:
- That these are two people who really believe in what they are doing- they believe they are providing people with a better, healthier alternative to the way pizza is generally made now-they believe what they are offering is better for the health of their customers (Passion)
- They are willing to work as hard as necessary, and do whatever it takes to succeed (Persistence)
As Mark Cuban said of the Naked Pizza guys : “There is nothing better than entrepreneurs that are willing to bust their ass for a product they believe in, that actually is a great product. That’s who I love to become partners with.”
That just about sums up how to succeed and achieve your dreams, in my opinion.
- Weekly Personal Finance Links- Cinco De Mayo Edition
- The Little Known Psychology of Delayed Gratification
- 6 Key Tips for Starting a Part-Time Business
- Common Sense Fix for the Economic Bailout from Dave Ramsey