15 Ways for Teens to Make Money this Summer

by RC on May 23, 2008

Teens are always looking for extra spending money; and the one thing they usually have in the summer is time. So instead of having them sit in the house all summer on the internet or text-messaging, get them out of the house and put them to work!

Seriously though, encouraging your teen or child to start earning money and saving some of their earnings is a great way to lead them down the path of financial responsibility as well as learning to take personal responsibility.

If your teen is earning and saving their own money, Smarty Pig offers targeted savings for savings goals, as well as one of the highest interest rates of all online high interest savings accounts, and is a great way for them to establish savings goals.

Here are 15 ways your teen can make extra money this summer:

Washing & detailing cars- A task that a lot of people don’t like to do; but everyone wants a clean car inside and out.

Babysitting- The old standard.

Household chores for others- Especially for elderly neighbors, or someone just too busy looking for a little help with cleaning, etc.

Pet sitting- Most people would rather leave their pets at home than board them when they go on vacation.

House sitting/watching- I used to do this one also for a couple of neighbors when they went out of town, taking in their mail, watering plants, etc.

Dog walking- Offer your services to neighbors who work long hours but want their pets to get some exercise.

Minor home improvement- Like painting, house washing, etc.

Cutting grass/yard work- I used to mow lawns myself when I was a teen, and it paid pretty well even back then. Teens can also do gardening, raking leaves, etc. Many people don’t really like to do this themselves, but grass grows like crazy in the summer.

Lifeguard-The YMCA and country clubs are always busy during the summer months. if you have a pool, give swimming lessons to younger children.

Summer camp counselor- Another great seasonal job for teens.

Daycare centers- These usually have higher enrollments during the summer as well and are looking for part-time help-perfect for teenagers.

Tutoring- Many parents are looking to give their kids an “edge” or additional contact time in certain school subjects during the summer.

Computer lessons/help- Let’s face it, most teens are a lot more computer literate and web-savvy than adults. Why not pass the knowledge along to others and make a little money in the meantime?

Sell things on Ebay- Old CD’s, movies, video games, and books are just a few things that can still be sold used for money.

Or have them get a part-time job at a restaurant, the mall, or even a fast-food joint.

Alternatively, you can pay your teen to do work for you, either for many of the ideas above; or for extra chores or projects you have been putting off and can’t find time to do yourself.

Again, if they start earning money, it is great time to teach them about saving and investing a portion of what they have earned. Suggest to them that they save certain percentage, and open a high-interest savings account for them. If they are saving up for a big purchase, try out smartypig.com as a way to track their savings toward their goal. Setting up their own online savings account, such as ING Direct, is a good idea too.

Many of these ideas can translate into something they can do with their free time during the school year as well- as long as they are keeping up their grades, of course.

Any other suggestions for ways for teens to make money?

Kika May 21, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Could be too late now, but reffing soccer can make kids good money over soccer season (they’ll need to attend a clinic). Also, similar to tutoring, youth may be able to offer summer piano/guitar lessons to kids. Many regular teachers take the summer off but sometimes parents want their kids to continue music study over the holidays.

Maymuna September 18, 2009 at 2:04 am

look im like what 13 and i REALLLY want a phone thatz like what 159$$ and um i have a feeling that my parents would say NO, so i like what ant to get a simple job that pays me monye not like at places but like helping old pplz and stuff you know and im NOT a dog person so forget dog walking stuff.
Thanks

C January 18, 2010 at 5:19 pm

id bargain with my parents, saying that if i did some extra stuff around the house would they help pay for the phone.
or just have a bake sale or something.

Shankor Bhawal August 13, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Hei RC, You may forget to add blogging on your list. Now lots teens around the world try to earn from online. It might be hard for them but not impossible.

And yeah Computer lessons/help is really good way to make some bucks. One of my friends do this job in summer. Finally thanks for this interesting post.

drew December 11, 2010 at 1:44 pm

ok im 14 i have tried doing services around the neighbor hood but my neighborhood has small yards and very little pets, i have tried doing online surveys and stuff but absalutely no profit i would like some money for my own income but i only get $1 a week

Angel April 13, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Im going on 16 and although im legally of age to get a job, my town is soo small and we are more of a poor town….except in the Heights…..and it is so bad with the competition and all with getting a job…i need to be able to get money to pay for my flight to move up to Wisconsin after i turn 18….and i need to get some quick cash RIGHT NOW so i can afford the things i want but mom wont pay for…..any help?…….the dog walking sounds good, tried the babysitting thing already, and the other options arent so good…(for me at least, they are great ideas though)….any ideas of jobs online that will pay you in checks since i dont have a credit card?…if you could help….PLEASE!!! (:

KC May 16, 2011 at 7:18 am

My son is 14 and we’ve been networking for him to improve his options when he is old enough to work during the summers. I volunteer in my community where I can bring my son. He’s volunteers on his own every summer and during his spring/summer breaks. Volunteering is a great way for teens to learn work ethic, too. My husband and I use the local bar/restaurant within walking distance of our house as our night/lunch-outs. We’ve become friends with the owner and managers if he ever decides to work there.

April July 1, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Hello, I just turned 14 and i wanted to do some jobs around the neighborhood, but I don’t really look like a 14, i look a bit younger, do you guys think people will still trust me with their house or pets ?

Sadie March 8, 2012 at 1:40 am

Those are fantasic ideas I’m gonig to be 13 and I need money and those are marvelous ways to get the cash I so desperately need. I would love to visit my grandparents in California, but with this economy I can’t afford to go anytime soon unless I pay for and ethier way I want to pay for and those are the ways I want to earn the money. However one thing subtracted from those 15 ways to earn cash is a possible bake sale