Can I Actually Buy a TV Made in the USA?

by RC on February 16, 2008

Shop Amazon’s Electronics – Black Friday Week Deals

ec.jpg

Note: Since this post was written, Olevia has gone out of business. Similar to Olevia, Vizio is headquartered in the United States as well and is ranked very highly as a manufacturer of LCD HD TV’s.

Surprisingly, according to an article entitled “Made in the USA” in the March, 2008 edition of Popular Mechanics magazine, you can. It is the mid-priced Olevia brand of LCD TVs made by Syntax-Brillian, whose corporate headquarters are located in Tempe, AZ. According to the article, (which I could not find on the Popular Mechanics website), Syntax-Brillian is the first U.S. TV manufacturer to compete against the Asian “giants” since Zenith was bought by a Korean company in 1995. Syntax- Brillian bought Vivitar in 2006, and still produces their cameras and camcorders.

According to the article, the televisions are designed and engineered in City of Industry, CA, and then the components are made separately in Asia and shipped to the West Coast facility where the sets are assembled. Syntax-Brillian claims this allows put together the sets and deliver to U.S. customers faster than its Asian competition.  (Note: I am not 100% sure what the FTC rules are regarding labelling products “Made in America”, nor did the article address  whether they are labelled as such, but the title of the article was “Made in the USA”, so you can draw your own conclusions.)

While I am not a “Buy American” crusader, as it is almost impossible to ”Buy American” these days in some consumer categories, I was pleasantly surprised to see this article. In these recessionary times, it cannot be a bad thing to regain a lost manufacturing industry, televisions, even if it is only one company with 200 employees.  That’s 200 more people than were putting together televisions 5 years ago.

Oddly enough, I bought a 27” Olevia from Circuit City back in September of last year. (My old television was basically showing everything in a shade of either green or red.) I really didn’t want make the purchase at the time, but decided to go ahead and pull the trigger after I found a good deal at Circuit City. I had done some research online,  and found that Olevia was rated as a pretty good LCD TV for the price. Thus far, I have been very satisfied with the picture quality and the TV overall, my only complaint is I cannot get my cable remote to work with the TV, but that  could be my fault. So if you are looking to buy a budget level LCD TV, and would like to  “Buy American”, you may want to check out the Olevia brand of LCD TVs.

Matthew August 4, 2008 at 11:44 am

Thanks for publishing this as I’m always looking for more “Made In USA” products to include on my website .

Electronics are rarely made in America and it would be great if this was the beginning of a new trend.

John November 19, 2008 at 2:14 pm

Dig deeper….they just made a deal with compaq to make em in CHINA!

Jimmy P November 24, 2008 at 12:33 am

Thank you for researching this for me, I would have never known where to begin to find a TV made in theUSA.

Again much thanks Tammy.

Maksim December 31, 2008 at 2:14 pm

Looks like Syntax-Brillian maker of Olevia is out of business.

con the builder April 11, 2009 at 10:45 pm

The vintage predicta is being made again in the USA

Bryan B July 6, 2009 at 10:17 am

Vizio’s are made in the U.S.. Also many Toshibas are assembled in the U.S.

Benny Handa July 19, 2009 at 2:49 pm

how can i find stuff made in the good old usa lcd tvs and more i am so tired of supporting every buddy else.

David February 24, 2010 at 6:02 am

curtis mathes still makes tvs that are made in the USA. 27″ and above. Buy American!!

vic March 17, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Where oh where can Curtis-Mathis televisions be bought?

Anonymous October 6, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Vizio is made in Taiwan. The company is only HQ’d in the US.

Bassment42 November 11, 2010 at 5:54 am

100% agree! I bought a tv 10 years ago from Wallmart. It died after 91 days, they would not take it back. Cheap Junk! I have not been back since.

Scott January 24, 2011 at 10:47 am

I have never ever seen a label on a vizio that says made in USA, safe to say they are not made here.

I check product labels often while walking through the big box stores. Alot of the rear projection big screen TVs have been built in Mexico. I was shocked one day at my local Sam’s Club store to see a Pioneer flat screen TV about 55″ in size that said assembled in the USA. This was probably a couple years ago and I have never seen a Pioneer TV at a retail store since, but that example does provide some proof that somebody has the ability to do this.

ROCKandREVIEW.com February 14, 2011 at 3:36 am

yes, Pioneer and Pioneer Elite Plasma’s were made in USA of USA and other components. Sadly, Pioneer ended it’s TV business all together, but seems to be reviving it with LCDs, perhaps because of the bad idea to discontinue the best TV ever made – you can still find them on eBay and they have been considered some of the best pictures in the world of Video.
Sony also closed a USA TV plant the same year as Pioneer.

Stephen April 1, 2011 at 3:54 am

Check out Nexus TV’s at nexuselectronics.com . A ctl Corp. Co. This is an AMERICAN COMPANY!!!!!

Darrell Thomas August 16, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Vizio is actually made by Sony which used to make awesome products, but the last couple products I have bought from Sony have been total crap, the quality is gone.

Rotorotor November 29, 2011 at 2:44 am

Vizios are not made in the us. It’s a common misconception. They are headquartered in the us, but built in the same factories all the other tvs are. Check the box of any vizio.