When Will I Get My Economic Stimulus Rebate Check from the IRS?

by RC on April 7, 2008

Update 4/27/08- Direct deposit of stimulus rebates will start appx. 5 days earlier that shown on the schedule, starting tomorrow 4/28. Paper checks, which will be mailed, will start appx. 1 week earlier than the schedule below, starting 5/9. Based on the original schedule, you should receive your rebate no later than on the original schedule, and possibly earlier. If you should have received your payment, you can check the status at the IRS site Where’s My Stimulus Payment? To get to your Stimulus Payment information, be ready to enter your:

Social Security Number
Filing status (Single, Married Filing Joint Return, Married Filing Separate Return, Head of Household, or Qualifying Widow
Number of Exemptions shown on your 2007 tax return

As tax filing day approaches, many are looking ahead to the economic stimulus rebates to be issued by the IRS for the federal government. Below are the scheduled dates that you can expect your economic stimulus rebate check, based on information from the IRS website. If you opt for direct deposit of your 2007 tax refund, your economic stimulus rebate will be deposited to your bank account of record sooner than if you get your refund mailed, as they will mail the check to you and the mailings will start later, May 16th. So, there is an additional incentive for having your tax refund transmitted to you via direct deposit.

Economic stimulus payments will be issued according to the last two-digits of the main filer’s Social Security number. People who use direct deposit also will be among the first to receive the payments starting May 2. Paper checks will be put in the mail starting May 16.

DIRECT DEPOSIT

26 through 38 June 6
39 through 51 June 13
52 through 63 June 20
64 through 75 June 27
76 through 87 July 4
88 through 99 July 11
People who file a return after April 15 will receive their economic stimulus payment, but probably about two weeks later than the schedule shows. A return must be filed by October 15 in order to receive a stimulus payment this year. See the online calculator for an estimate of the amount you will receive.

Dont know what you are going to do with your rebate? Check out my article on spending your tax refund or economic stimulus rebate wisely.

Silveigha May 5, 2008 at 10:21 am

I was to receive my payment on May2nd, through direct depostit and it has not gone through… Is any one else having this problem?

Patti May 8, 2008 at 11:47 pm

I still have a question that no one else has answered. We filed electronically but we sent our tax payment in a check. Now will be be waiting for a check or will the money be a direct deposit. We had our state refund deposited to our checking account but paid our federal in a check.

RC May 9, 2008 at 6:03 am

@ Patti-

It is my understanding that you only receive the stimulus rebate via direct deposit if the government owed you a refund and direct deposited it into you checking account, otherwise you will receive a paper check according to the schedule. Hope this helps.

Brandon May 9, 2008 at 7:29 pm

My wife and I were supposed to get ours today according to your chart. my last 2 are 70 and my wifes is 60. But we didn’t receive ours. and we had our returns direct deposited. my brother in law got his today, but his last 2 are 0something. has this information changed? i was expecting it today but no luck.

RC May 11, 2008 at 8:11 am

@Brandon: If you were supposed to get direct deposit on friday (meaning you had a refund direct deposited by the IRS and you filed by April 15th or earlier), it may not have cleared your bank till friday night. If it did not show up on Saturday or by Monday, i would check the “Where’s my stimulus payment” page-I added a link to it in the 1st paragraph.- Good Luck.

Amanda May 14, 2008 at 7:44 am

i was supposed to recieve my payment on may 9th via direct deposit and still no luck. Although everyone around me has recieved theirs. Will i still get mine?? What is the hold up??

Kristin Burnett May 15, 2008 at 1:42 pm

If you file joint and your the last 2 digits of your spouse is 43 and yours is 95 how does this work?

Herb A. May 15, 2008 at 4:41 pm

I filed for an economic tax refund because I read that Social Security recipients would be given stimulus payments too. I used a Tax Stimulus form that was sent to me by the Social Security Administration and IRS. That was back on March 18th. According to the electronic transfer payment dates given out by the government in print and on the web, I was to have received my payment on May 9th. Nothing yet, and I am not feeling secure about getting it anytime soon either.

I have heard that the government has stiffed a lot of folks with those electronic transfer dates. No one I know has received a dime. Now just imagine how screwed up the paper check mailings will be. Another sterling example of our government at work. They can’t do anything right, yet they are always proposing a better life for us all if we just give them more power and control over our lives. Ha!

Gloria May 18, 2008 at 8:07 am

I also was supposed to get my simulus by direct deposit on May 9th. Today is May a 18th. Whn I went to the IRS website and filled in my name, number and exemption status, it came back with the answer that it had no information at this time. What is the delay, does anybody know?

Gretchen May 19, 2008 at 5:34 am

Wish I knew, we even received a letter that the direct deposit would be in the account on 5/9. It’s 5/19 and still no direct deposit. We efiled, received a refund via our checking account and sent out our tax preparer’s fees separately. It is ridiculous, really.

Mollie & Matthew May 23, 2008 at 10:10 am

None of you are alone out there. We have been waiting on our funds to be in our account since 5/16. We received our refund back in Feb. Direct Deposit. I don’t understand what the hold up is! Also…..I have called and put our numbers in and the phone system tells me that we won’t receive it till June 27th! (Mailed check date for numbers 72). It is ridiculous gretchen…….I don’t understand it either.!!!!

shoot. August 11, 2008 at 4:03 pm

i was supposed to get mine a month ago.
>=/